Re: [RC] Splint injury? - Elizabeth Walker

Well, since I'm dealing with a similar injury, I can give you what I did. (But any vets can jump in ... )

I did go to the vet for ultrasounds and x-rays. Caisson tripped going up to a plastic water trough at the Bar-H ride, and nearly fell into it -- lots of scrambling around. That was in February, and I'm still dealing with it.

The things the vet looked for were:
- X-Ray to check for fractured splint bone (no) -- this would have required surgery
- Ultrasound to check for strained tendons or ligaments. In my case, there was no strain, but there was filling around the tendon and suspensory.
Cost was around $500.

Because of the suspensory involvement, we opted to treat this more like a tendon strain than a simple splint, as in Caisson's case, there was thickening of the tendon / suspensory area, indicating that he had given those structures a pretty good whack, as opposed to just hitting the splint bone.

For just a splint (non-fractured), that my old horse had, I did the following:
-- Ice until the immediate inflammation and soreness went away.
-- Furacin sweat after that to try and limit the size of the lump.
-- Back to work after any soreness was gone.

If she has tendon / ligament involvement, however, that can be a different story. We did hand-walking, with Surpass once a day, for 2 weeks, then progressed to walk only under saddle, then add trotting (all on the flat, firm ground, etc.), and gradually increase the work. Pretty much the progression you would do with a suspensory injury, but increasing the work a bit faster, as there was no actual lesion. Still, it has been 4 months, and we are only up to about 6 - 8 miles on the trail.