Re: [RC] [RC] Poultice vs. Ice vs. Liniment vs. Nothing At All?? - FXLivestock

In a message dated 7/17/2008 11:44:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Nothing, even after 100s.  I just clean the horse up best I can, hose him off if there's a hose available and the temperature is suitable (here in hot humid E. Texas, it's nearly always good weather for a bath!), then leave him alone to eat and snooze.  I have ice boots in case I need them.  I've used the ice packs on me, but so far not on the horse.  :)

Dawn Carrie (minimalist)
I don't think there is anything wrong with the minimalist approach.  In fact, one of my good friends believes you only need to have caffeine pills and a carry a little grain for a 100.  Talk about minimalist.

I just would like to add that there is no set rules for ride aftercare with our horses and what works for one may not be needed for another.  But, there are pros and cons to the approach of doing nothing at all.   One thing about doing nothing is that you get to see exactly what kind of stress your horse has encountered during the ride without masking with drugs, wrapping, or anything artificial like ice.  On the other hand, preventing any kind of filling or swelling in the legs seems a logical approach instead of perhaps having to get that filling/inflamation out the next day.  I really like the idea of getting the heat out of legs and preventing any kind of filling immediately after a ride, especially a 100.  Even riding a slow 100 means that your horse has been out on the trail and working for a lot of hours.  Preventative measures like ice or cold water and a rubbing the legs down can really go a long way in keeping swelling and filling out of the legs after a long ride.  You don't need fancy liniments or even leg wraps if you want to stay to the minimalist side yet you can be proactive in preventing legs from filling/swelling by just using a few minutes of cold treatment and a quick rub down after a ride.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648