Re: [RC] one butt, two horses and a full time job. - Keith Kibler

My wife and I have actually ridden LD and/or 50 on 6 different horses this year in 12 starts. So, your question is something I have really had to work around.
Here is what we have done that has worked.
1. Set up a game plan in advance of a ride. Have a definite idea of what you are trying to accomplish with your training. How many different training rides are you trying to get done? How many miles? What type of rides do you want to do? Keep a diary or calender. I use hrt rate and gps.
2. I get away with lots of short rides at home between 4-8 miles ending after dark. The experience on a young horse is great and I use things like riding through
our subdivision as a despooking tool.
3. Friends, lot so friends. I match friends to horses. You, of course have to use common sense and discretion. I also (almost always) insist they wear a helmet.
No helmet no ride on my horses. If they think that is weird, they dont ride my horse.
Keith
http://www.shawneesunrisefarm.net/

Mellifluous wrote:
Hey all!
I have gotten the impression that some of you keep two horses conditioned and endurance ready. I was wondering if you guys would have any tips for me on how to accomplish this feat. I am finding that it is rather difficult, especially with my current equine population. I have the coming 5 year old that is in excellent condition and maintains it well but needs to be ridden regularly because he is greenbroke. Then I have the coming 6 year old that is well broke but has pasture potato tendencies and needs lots of work to get in condition, but is easy to maintain once there. The problem is, I have let her get out of condition while concentrating my greenbroke horse.
I work full time but thankfully don't have kids so at least that gives me a little more free time after work. I try to ride at least 3-4 days a week after work, sometimes that happens and sometimes it does not. I have a friend that will be riding one of my horses with me at rides, but she can't help condition much.
There has got to be a good way to balance all of this!
cloning? would that be a solution?