Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.6051 - Karen Ellis

Bruce Weary posted sometime last year on his opinion against wrapping.  I'll see if I can find it.

Karen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.6051

My post-race plan:

Ice and then standing wraps.  Handwalking, handwalking, handwalking.

I will unwrap the wraps and check for filling periodically if I'm worried.  I dont' want to miss an emerging issue because it's hidden.

My mare is coming off of some lameness issues and I like to keep a close eye on how much or if she is filling.

I don't use linaments or poulitices on the advice of my vet.  His feeling is that instead of using a linament, just massage the area if I want, and don't use a poultice because you may miss a problem if it works, and if it doesn't work - don't waste your money.

I feel lucky to have a vet that I trust.  So far his advice and councel has been right on and has gotten me through some tough spots this last year with my horses.  I do try and learn from what others do and ask lots of questions, so this routine (along with other management practices) might change in the future!

Melinda
From: Sharon Levasseur <sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Poultice vs. Ice vs. Liniment vs. Nothing At All??

Which do you use post-race, and why?