Re: [RC] [RC] 25 to 50's (Fixing what's uncomfortable.) and gaiters - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Sharon Levasseur:
I have a Barefoot Cheyenne saddle....Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to keep the little tiny flap that covers the stitching for the girth billets) down on this type of saddle? My right calf gets bruised every time about 25 miles in when the leather begins to curl.

Sharon - an expensive option, but you'll be oh so glad you
did it - get a full-length sheepskin saddle cover down to your
ankles. It'll get rid of all those chafey areas on the saddle. I
used one very successfully on a Barefoot Cheyenne.

Can anyone provide feedback on this or any other type of gaiter? It needs to be LOW so it won't cause the same problem as half chaps.

After noticing that the winner of Virginia City 100 was
wearing a pair a few years back, I decided they were
a great idea. These are what I've been using for a couple
of years now, bought from the local running store:

My foot in my husband's "large" size gaiter (a bit baggy):
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/IMG_8897a.jpg
and my feet in my own "small" size pair:
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/IMG_9407a.jpg

Frankly, once they are on, I never notice. They have the
added advantage of stopping your shoelaces from coming
undone. I did a 23 hour 100 in them and didn't suffer.

REI have a similar design pair:
http://www.rei.com/product/697872
(although I like the Dirty Girl URL Kathy put up... not sure
they'd last as long, but they are also half the price):

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA