Re: [RC] First 50 - Keith Kibler

When I did my first 50, all of three years ago, I was riding gaited, as we are now. I trained 450 miles between Jan 1 and the ride which was in late may of that year.
I trained in terrain at least as difficult if not more difficult than the ride. I kept a calender of the training rides. I did mostly long slow distance , then hill repeats and
some speed work. We also did some tempo rides at the same pace I was planning on doing at the ride.
Every ride was on Gps. I sometimes used heart rate, but not very often. Now we almost always use heart rate.
Because the horse is a mft , he did not trot. I varied his gait from a walk, to running walk, rack and canter. Somewhere along the way he discovered he knew how to foxtrot.
At the ride we varied pace and gait. He did great.
It was the only ride I did with him his first year.
This is the most mileage I have gone into a first ride of the season with. One of the advantages that you Arabian riders have is that it does not take as many miles to leg up your horses, so I am not suggesting that anyone else needs to ride this much.
I wanted to make sure he was ready, and he was.
We have since learned that a gaited horse can be ready for an Ld, even a competitive Ld (if the horse is ready for that considering his age,maturity and ability ) with 150 miles of training pre first ride of the season.
Keith
http://www.shawneesunrisefarm.net/