Re: [RC] new topic: smoke - Laney Humphrey

As the crow flies, I'm maybe 10 miles from both the Basin Complex and Indians fires in the Los Padres NF. I'm north of both of them. The weekend was glorious! I rode to the highest peak in our local park where we looked south towards the fires. The plume of smoke was impressive indeed but our air was crystal clear. Overnight the winds shifted. It's supposed to be record-breaking hot for the next few days and when I woke up this morning the air was smokey. I overlook what used to be a very small airport. It's been closed for several years & is used as a park by the locals. Now there are lots of men in uniforms laying out a strike camp (I think that's what it's called). A base for firefighters to fight the eastern edge of the fires. Last evening there was a huge tanker dropping borate as well as lots of helicopters making water dumps.
I'm glad I wasn't planning to ride today anyway because it's definitely smokey out.
Laney

Kathie Ford wrote:
Hey all you californians...just wanted to create a survey on the smoke situation within our state.
Currently smokey in Auburn again, although looks like it might be a little thinner layer then yesterday.
The 4th of July was perfect though! 80s, a light breeze, blue sky and I could see all the way to the sierras for the first time. Then, around 3am the next morning (I was up watching the Jaws movie marathon!) it smelled smokey again.
So, how is it in all the other areas? Placerville? Cool? Bay Area? and south??
How about to the west?
Also, since not good to have horses out exercising in this stuff I am wondering what others are doing themselves besides working of course...
Thought a new topic was in order. Don't know if we've even had this one before.
cheers everybody,
kathie