[RC] LD and Joe Long's post - sherman

I think the most important part of your statement is “with the limited experience in horses in general” , but the experience in the sport is not so important as one can always get information and advice regarding the sport. Lack of experience with horses is another matter altogether, and you’re right, riders with little horse experience should not be doing 50s, I’m not sure that even doing LDs is a good idea in that case, but you’re right, they’re there and at least it’s better than 50s. Personally, I’d had close to 35 years of horse handling, some very rank ones, before attempting a ride start, and I feel that any horse I take to its first ride (50) will be a horse I can handle under any situation. My training ground is not the ride.

Kathy

Many horses are not the same beasts in a large group in the excitement of a race venue as they are anywhere else regardless of mileage. In addition, just MHO I would prefer to find out issues with my horse on a shorter distance in that venue simply for the sake of my  horse. While some can and have gone straight to 50's, for most people (with the limited experience in both the sport and horses in general of the huge majority) most are better off not skipping over the "training ground" of the sport, for the sake of the horse.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com