[RC] National BC (was: LD etc.) - k s swigart

David LeBlanc said:

Go off on the dumbing down stuff, and completely
miss the point of whether it's right or fair to have a
national LD BC award and having some RM's just
decide on their own not to do that.

Actually, it is completely within the AERC rules for ride managers to
"decide on their own" not to do AERC BC at any ride, not just at LD
rides.

Tevis does not offer AERC BC.  If you win the Haggin Cup, you will not
garner any AERC points for doing so, despite the fact that the AERC also
offers a National BC award not only for LD, but also for endurance
distances.

So, there it is, winning the Haggin Cup, probably one of the most
prestigious awards at any endurance ride anywhere in the world, won't
count for squat with the AERC, and, in fact, winning BC at Tevis will
not appear in the AERC's ride results.

I suspect that the AERC rule that says "you don't HAVE to use the AERC's
BC form at your endurance ride" was a compromise made with the WSTF in
order to get them to sanction the Tevis Cup at all.

And I suspect that the AERC rule that says "you don't HAVE to use the
AERC's BC form at your LD ride" is also a compromise made with ride
managers of other rides in order to get them to sanction LD rides at
all.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  Please note that I made no comment as to whether I think ride
managers, at any distance, SHOULD offer AERC BC.  I merely wished to
point out the fact that the AERC rules are consistent at all distances
as to whether it is required, national BC award notwithstanding.