Re: [RC] Cronin Ranch Rumor Control - Lynelle Robertson

To all that frequent Cronin Ranch I went for the first time down to the only equine water access to the river I found and it was awful. It was at the trail junction of the old movie set and to the right. It was at least 1/2 mile straight down 8% grade. There were tie posts and a tables. However, the small pond was nothing but sand sludge that we sank down to our ankles. This is dangerous and like quick sand. Now they have put up sign restricting us from even riding the road just above the river. What is next we can't leave the parking lot. Since when can anyone purchase river front property for their exculsive use. What about people on foot with dogs who use the river bank as a toilet. This policy is discrimintory and I for one did not agree to it. I live about 1-1/2 from the entrance and ride there 3 times a week so water is an important issue. This is something that all of us must stand firm on each time they try to restrict equistrian access. I have had several unpleasant conversations with this Jeff person and he could care less about equestrians and there safety in the park. The local equesterian  club has donated a lot of money also for the improvement of the park and what do we get but more restrictions. Please email and call the BLM and let them know that not only local equestrians are not happy with there policies but nationally this could effect or be used as a precedent case any where in the nation.

--- On Tue, 5/6/08, Horseraser@xxxxxxx <Horseraser@xxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Horseraser@xxxxxxx <Horseraser@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] Cronin Ranch Rumor Control
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2008, 4:37 PM

FYI

Micki

HELLO MEMBERS – I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION FROM GAIL ZEIGLER, DHA MEMBER AND ARC VOLUNTEER OUTREACH COORDINATOR.   AS YOU KNOW, THE CRONAN RANCH TRAILS  ARE MULTI-USE.   FOR YEARS BEFORE EQUESTRIANS RODE THERE, THE RAFTING COMPANIES HAD ACCESS TO THE RIVER FOR LUNCH ‘PULL OUTS’ – ALONG THE RIVER TRAILS.   IN ORDER TO KEEP THINGS RUNNING SMOOTHLY, THE FOLLOWING TRAIL ADJUSTMENTS ARE BEING MADE BY THE BLM.   PLEASE READ BELOW FOR THE DETAILS AND HELP US SPREAD THE WORD TO OTHER EQUESTRIAN GROUPS SO WE CAN ALL CONTINUE TO ENJOY OUR TRAILS.

I’m hoping you can assist me in sharing information about Cronan Ranch.  I’d like this message to be communicated to as many horse clubs as possible.

Jeff Horn, Outdoor Recreation Planner for the BLM contacted me concerned about a call he received from the “Call Three Problem Solver”.  An equestrian apparently called Channel Three with concerns that the BLM is going to close Cronan Ranch to Equestrians.  This is not True.  Equestrians are allowed at Cronan Ranch.  However, Jeff Horn, has advised me that for horses there will be seasonal access closures  to parts of the River.  The seasonal closure will be during the rafting season which is from about Memorial Day to Labor Day.   The BLM will provide equestrians with three access points to the river so horses can drink.  One on the Magnolia/Strazza side and two on the Cronan Ranch Side.   Three access points to the river are  very reasonable.

The picnic tables that we see along the river are owned by several rafting outfitters who pay the BLM for the ability to use Cronan Ranch as a lunch stop for their paying customers.  Equestrians and other visitors to the park have been using the picnic tables,  which is normally not a problem if the outfitters are not there.  If outfitters arrive with paying guests, the public needs to respect the outfitters rights to access their picnic sites.  What is becoming an issue is horse manure and food service to paying clients.  The outfitters are providing a lunch to their clients and there are potential health and welfare complaints about horse manure mixing with food.  The BLM would prefer that the issue never get to that point, and has found a reasonable solution to the problem.

My goal with this e-mail is to pass along information to the horse community which can be summarized as follows:

·        Horses are allowed at Cronan Ranch

·        There will be Seasonal Closures to the river from approximately Memorial Day through Labor Day

·        The BLM will provide Three access points to the river during this time,  so horses can drink

·        The picnic tables along the river are owned by Outfitters who pay for these areas as a lunch stop for their paying guests

·        Please keep horses away from the picnic tables -  so that horse manure and food do not mix.

If anyone has any questions they can contact me at gail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

And, just so people know, I am an equestrian who uses Cronan Ranch about 3 times a week with my horse.  I am also a founding member of the Divide Trail Patrol.  I believe the BLM requests and actions are all reasonable.

Thank you.

Gail J

Gail Zeigler

Volunteer Outreach Coordinator

American River Conservancy

(530)621-1224

gail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**If you woke up breathing you're already having a pretty good day**

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, Citizenship in a Republic, Address at the Sorbonne, April 23, 1910.