Re: [RC] FW: CalChiefs News Alert - Propane Tank Alert (UNCLASSIFIED) - Lynne Glazer

Here's some more information about it from snopes:

Lynne

On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:32 AM, scswag@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The San Luis Obispo area had a big meth lab bust this weekend. Due to that the local fire department at Lake Nacimiento sent out this message.

This was sent out by our Fire Chief.  FYI

DATE: June 28, 2008

SUBJECT:    CalChiefs News Alert - Propane Tank Alert

A message from the Law Enforcement Network:

For those of you who like to grill it up during the summer, here's a
Safety announcement you should be aware of.
Please put this information out to ALL.  Even if you do not use and
exchange a propane tank, send this out for those that do. This is
Something you definitely need to be aware of, especially in light of the
recent
News of "Meth-labs" in our area:
"There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of
Great new information presented.
Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart,
Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they ar e filling
Them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for by the way).
After they are finished with them, they return them to the store.  They
Are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy.
Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank.
It can
Be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.
According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any
blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present,
Refuse to purchase that one."

Here's the NPGA Site for your review also.  They have pictures.

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE