Re: [RC] [RC] walker - Maryanne Gabbani

FWIW, I have an Arab mare, pure Arab though no papers, who taught herself to rack because we used to go hacking with a DQ friend who always wanted her 18 hh Dutch WB to move at a steady trot in the desert and Dory is maybe 14hh but highly competitive. If she broke into a canter, my friend would throw a fit because then Oscar would want to canter and  said friend was a tiny flyweight rider. So Dory learned to do something fast that would keep up with that 18hh trot but wasn't a canter. Drove my DQ friend right around the bend because she could keep right up with his extended trot and while it wasn't a trot, it sure wasn't a canter either.  She'd be looking over at us, me just sitting comfortably while Dory motored along, saying, "What the hell is she doing??? That's some kind of eggbeater trot. That's not a trot!" And I'd just smile and say, "Hey, she's not cantering and that's what you asked for."

I also have a similarly competitively minded Anglo Arab mix gelding who hates to go anywhere slow. He does what I swear is a running walk and nobody can keep up to it unless they are doing a nice brisk trot. But identifying all this stuff in Egypt is hard. No one understands gaited horses here.

Maryanne

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx

Egypt Face to Face
www.alsorat.com
Weblogs:
Living In Egypt
miloflamingo.blogspot.com
Cairo/Giza Daily Photo
cairogizadailyphoto.blogspot.com
Turn Right At The Sarcophagus
haramlik.blogspot.com
Da Moose Is Loose (a blog for kids)
mstroud.blogspot.com
Photos of Egypt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/livinginegypt/
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM, <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>If someone knows the answer to this question could you email me privately as it is not really endurance related. If a Tennessee walking horse is not gaited by the time he is four, can it he be >>>trained to be gaited? My email address is: sbolinge at aol dot com. Thanks!

One of my best riding buddies when I was a kid had a registered TWH. There were 3 of us in this "gang", 2 on QH and one on TWH. She walk, trot, cantered...and our favorite RACED him everywhere with us for years. He never did one lick of anything gaited that I saw. When he was 8 or 9 the farm she lived on went up for sale and a man who rode show walking horses came over to try her horse. He took the snaffle out, put in a long shank bit, kicked him  up a little while hold ing him back with his hands up high and the darned horse started gaiting. I saw him the next year at a show. Very sad. He'd had so much fun swimming in ponds with us (though he aways crapped first thing and we had to splash to make it float away from us). We put up with it because he stood still to be a good diving board. We were always climbing mountains, and racing bareback, then he started having to do that high stepping garbage in a ring. Poor boy. :-((
He was not a pacer. Maybe that made a difference.

I had a big Appaloosa that was 1/2 QH who was always in a hurry and wanted to jig. (ex-racehorse). I would make him walk everywhere and he started walking faster and faster...kinda like when you tell an elementary school kid *WALK!* on their way to catch the bus when the bell rings and they find a way to do a weird gait that involves far more speed than a normal walk but that you won't punish them for. Finally he was head bobbing walking really fast leaving the other horses as usual (we did all our trail rides riding 100 yards ahead and circling back, over and over all day) and a friend said, "Is he gaited? I swear he's gaiting!" That made me mad so I started trotting and he was my first endurance horse. >g< I suppose if you walk *fast* enough it becomes a running walk?

I'm scared to death I'm going to have to learn all these terms. One of my favorite uncles is 78 this year and has already been resuscitated 3 times. He's got about 13 TWH 40 miles from here and being the family "horse expert" I *know* they're going to be my responsibility to disperse someday. If anybody in the AL/TN/GA triangle needs one, let me know.

Angie

Smart Girls Secret Weapon
Read Unbiased Beauty Product Reviews, Get Helpful Tips, Tricks and Sam