Re: [RC] [RC] Fireworks as a begginer ride - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Kathy wrote:
<When I first started doing endurance ride, just 4 years ago, I'd take my
horse up to the start and wait along with all the others. Many horses were
misbehaving, some bucking, spinning, backing into us, kicking, so on and so
forth. Now that I have a little more knowledge and know that a few minutes
doesn't mean there's not enough time to complete the ride, my daughter and I
get on our horses 30 minutes before the start and we walk and walk and walk,
then when everyone leaves the start we go over there and walk just a bit of
the start, when all the excitement is past, we can trot out. We avoid being
in the middle of the chaos, it's safer for the horses with less risk of
getting kicked and injured, and same for us as it keeps us away from the
anxious horses.>

Thank you, Kathy, this is exactly what I wanted to see.  For some, two to four minutes could make the difference between 1st and 2nd.  And as a newbie I know that there isn't a snowballs chance in Haites that I am going to be in that realm at any rate.  So, my concern has been, what happens to me and my horse at the start line when 'mass chaos' seems to insue?  I know my horse well enough that she would be right up there in the mix and establishing her territory (she hates to be less than first in line for anything) and runs the risk of getting hurt.  So, Kathy, this makes absolute sense to me!  Thank you!

One of the greatest fears, I have heard from other Newbie riders, is what about those crazy starting lines?  And a lot of them have not tried to do their first ride because of this fear.  It wasn't until I helped Ranelle crew at Washoe Lake Ride 2008 I might have a chance.  So, I decided to first choose rides that have less aggressive starts.   Second, by staying back in the back with my horse turned into the direction the main pack is traveling - until all of the chaos is over.  I did test that recently and found that my mare gets more anxious 'hearing' hooves running away from her than watching them go.  So, on trail rides with lots of friends I hang in the back and hold her back as all are leaving.  She has learned, against her nature, that is her starting position.

D'Arcy