[RC] 2-day 100 - Sharon Hahn

In the Midwest (UMECRA) we have 2-day 100s where you ride 50 miles each day.  We even have 2-day 50s where you ride 25 miles each day.   It's basically the same as riding back-to-back 50s or 25s in the same weekend, except that you have to commit to both days up front, all or nothing.  An advantage of the 2-day ride is that if you rode two separate 50s, on the second day you would be competing against some fresh horses, but if you entered the 2-day 100, you're only riding against the same people from the day before.  So your placing (and subsequent points) might be higher in the 2-day 100.

From a ride management standpoint, all of the horses regroup and start at the same time the next day, so you don't have to keep vet checks open all night for the slower riders or plan trail, glowsticks, etc. for night riding.  This is especially an advantage if ride management is offering  LD and competitive rides the next day, which is usually the case in the Midwest.  It's endurance riding, not endurance vetting - we have to let the vets and other helpers sleep at least a little or they won't come back!

I suspect this type of ride is more popular in areas that offer multiple distance riding events over the course of a weekend.  In the Upper Midwest, the norm is for a "ride" to be 2 or 3 days, with 3 or 4 events offered each day.  As an example, here's the schedule for the Mosquito Run Ride over July 4th weekend:

Friday - 50 endurance, 2-day 100 endurance, 25 LD, 25 competitive, 2-day 50 competitive, 3-day 25 competitive

Saturday - day 2 of 2-day events that started Friday, plus 50 endurance, 25 LD, 25 competitive

Sunday - day 3 of 3-day competitive, plus 25 competitive, 25 LD, and 12 novice competitive

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses