[RC] Mt. Diablo Ride-congratulations on your first ride, LynelleRobertson! - Ranelle Rubin

Dear Ridecampers,

What a great conditioning ride for Tevis! It was hot (reported to have been 104 degrees). Riders had to be totally aware of where the next water was, as the trail was mostly exposed terrain with little shade, and LOTS of long big hills! Ride management did an amazing job of adjusting trail when the temps got hotter than they expected. They ran us down a shady canyon to an "oasis" with a hose/spray and goodies for horse and riders. They imposed an additional 20 min hold there which was very smart given the temps. My Cool Medic Vests and my horse's Cool Medic Poll Cap were kept wet all day. At one water stop, one of the vets, Dr. Kerr was even carrying buckets of water down the line dumping it on our horses! Now, THAT is service! One of the many things they did that I personally appreciated was to have people posted at major intersections to be sure no one went the wrong way. Extra trail miles on that day could have been treacherous given the temps and lack of natural water.

The highlight of my personal day was running into Lynelle Robertson (my friend who was doing her first 25 mile ride) at about 12 miles into her ride (about 22 into mine) at a water stop. She was doing great..looking strong..with a HUGE smile on her face! She was totally together..focussed on her ride, her mare, and what she needed to do for her. We rode into the lunch stop together and vetted through together. I was so very proud of how well she handled her first vet check, cool, calm, and focussed, despite the fact it was a very crowded line into the vet. She remembered her mantra coming into the vet check: "What is she "at", drop your cinch, drop your bit". She was smart and found two riders leaving the start that were going a pace she liked and asked to ride with them, making good time and new friends!

We separated again after that vet check, not to see each other again until the finish. I felt like a proud mom when she gleamed at me saying her mare had gotten mostly all A's with only one B on her vet card!! Way to go Lynelle!!! You took good care of your mare, good care of yourself, and did one heck of a job getting through your first ride..it had to be one of the toughest 25 mile rides there is.

Lynelle, you and your horse are definitely ready for your first 50..! One of the most satisfying parts of this whole experience has been coaching a rider to develop herself and her horse to be ready for this sport. She has done her homework, conditioned a great horse, adjusted her nutrition to keep her in good flesh given the work, and is now ready to "Ride, Really Ride!"

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx