[RC] Sunriver @ Mt. Adams - A MUST-D0 RIDE! - Naomi Preston

If you've never done this ride, put it on your calendar for next year.  The trails at Mt. Adams are the most beautiful I've seen in my miles of endurance!  Mostly single track winding trails through beautiful woods sitting at the base of impressive Mt. Adams, a snow-capped volcano which sits at 12,000+ feet elevation.
And besides the wonderful venue, the ride management and volunteers were top-notch!!  Darlene Anderson (Sunriver RM) and Stephenie Irving (Mt. Adams RM) teamed up this year, due to a sequence of unexpected events.  First, the Northwest experienced overly abundant snow in the Cascades this year, which forced the cancellation of the Mt. Adams planned for May 17, and subsequently almost cancelled the Sunriver ride, due to 2 feet of snow remaining in ridecamp.  So, instead of losing two great rides this year, Darlene and Stephanie put their minds and efforts together and held the Sunriver ride on the Mt. Adams trails!  Stephanie and her husband Steve Irving, opened their home and pasture for the ridecamp, which has a million dollar view of Mt. Adams.  Thank you Stephanie and Steve!!

The fun began Friday night with PNER member Paul Latiolais' homemade authentic gumbo served on the patio, paired with terrific selections from a local winery.  Paul loves to cook, and he had made the biggest pot of Gumbo this side of the Mississippi!  YUM!

The volunteers at the ride went the extra mile to provide a great experience for the riders.  The week before the ride, a group of dedicated folks cleared the trails, including chainsaw swinging Max Merlich.  Then on ride day, riders were treated to the efforts of the volunteers all day long.  At this first out-check (which I've renamed "Starbucks"), riders were treated to yummy muffins and coffee or tea, delivered to them by a smiling PNER member!  Volunteers were there to hold horses, refill water bottles, you name it.  We definitely felt pampered!  (And a special than you to Bev Ryan, our personal crew!)  Then back on the beautiful trails, only to be spoiled later with burgers and hot dogs off the grill at basecamp.  Later that evening, when we finished the 100, we were treated to a welcome bowl of Paul's steaming gumbo, while listening to lively Cajun tunes.  Enough fun to make a girl wanna boogie even after a 100 mile ride!  (Thanks, Darlene, for the swing dance!)

The Team concept is definitely alive and well in the Pacific Northwest.  Not only were the PNER Teams volunteering and sponsoring meals, but riders signed up for Teams of 4 on the 75 and 100 mile rides.

It doesn't get any better than this.  Beautiful, well-marked trails, great ride management, awesome volunteers, great vets, delicious food, and best of all, the special camaraderie we find among our fellow endurance riders.
If you're considering moving up from 50's to a 75 or 100, this is definitely the place to do it.  Oh, and hearing the elk bugling in ridecamp on Sunday morning was the icing on the cake!

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work in putting on this tremendous ride!

Naomi Preston