Re: [RC] Descanso disasters, vol 2 - Don Huston

Hello Nancy,

Certainly turned out to be a tough day for both of us. My shoulder will be fine, total movement, slowly, except up high and no crunching in the joint.

It's good that you are riding Jazzi with a HRM but you might consider doing 2 things. I have always kept the HR limit at 130-135 because I'm a conservative old slowpoke and that lower limit has never caused my horse any problems. You might lower Jazzi's limit until he can achieve this second thing. I was told years ago that if your horse cannot reach 60 bpm within 10 minutes WHENEVER YOU STOP then you are over riding your horse. At every water stop or pee stop I check HR and if it's not 60 I wait until it is and if it takes over 10 min then I would slow down going to the next stop. If the HR still does not hit 60 in less than 10 min at the next stop then I would let him graze and rest for an extra 15 min. It has been years now since his pulse failed the 10min 60bpm limit anywhere. When I get off and walk into the vet checks he is at 56 or less by the time I get my in time and then get a P&R within 1 min if they are not busy. I'm sure Datezz could easily knock an hour or more off his ride time but so what? Then I would have to sit around in a hot dusty field waiting for dinner instead of happily plunking down the trail. :-D At the really hot Bar-H-Boogie, 2day 100, some years ago 27 riders started the second day and 19 managed to get pulled because they just couldn't endure the heat and the "hills of significance". Tammie Robinson and I raced in (her horse walked faster than mine) for top ten finishing 7th & 8th with 15 min left on the clock. Kat was the drag rider and she was also top 10 finishing 9th. That was and still is my only top ten finish and Datezz was wearing Old Macs back then. What a hotrod.

Don Huston

Don Huston
donhuston @ cox .net
SanDiego, Calif