Re: [RC] Magnesium Sulfate - Lynn Kinsky

On Jun 12, 2008, at 10:58 PM, k s swigart wrote:

For those of you who know more chemistry (and perhaps biology) than I
do, I am curious to find out more about where, besides the waters of
Epsom, England, magnesium sulfate can be found.

Electrolyte formulas. I have a jar of Quench! here and it says it contains magnesium sulfate. So does Elite Electrolyte.

Even a nutritional supplement like Platinum Performance, while it contains magnesium as magnesium citrate it also contains glucosamine sulfate -- and I doubt if any blood or urine test could sort out where the sulfate ion came from once it goes in solution in the stomach.

I agree that the prohibition as written doesn't make sense -- even the USEF doesn't prohibit magnesium sulfate (Magnesium sulfate is used in poultices -- could the AERC mean that?). Has anyone asked the writers of the list what they were thinking of?

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
ranch: http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/