Re: [RC] Drugs fees - Lynn Kinsky

On Jun 2, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Maryben Stover wrote:

I lost Evelyn's email about California Drug fees.? Yes, it would seem fair that only those tested pay the $5 but that is not how it works.? Every horse event in California (rides, shows, events, etc.) pays $5 per horse to the State.........mb

And if only those who won the "testing lottery" at the event had to pay for the testing, the cost would be more in the $30-$50 range. I've stewarded at breed shows out of state and at least a couple years ago that was the cheapest lab cost to run a panel comparable to California's, plus a few hours of the show vet's time to do the blood draws on 5-8 horses. Of course this got figured into the show fees so it was probably about $5 per exhibitor. OTOH, the show was guaranteed that a sample of the horses were tested, unlike in California where there is no guarantee the testers will show up.

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
ranch: http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/