[RC] skyrocking hay prices - sherman

Yes, definitely a drought kind of year. Usually I have knee high tall green pastures at this time of year. This year have brown, about ½” high, and bone dry soil in Grass Valley, CA.

Kathy

We are in a drought kind of year.  Perfectly normal average rainfall, but it quit in March.  Our grass is bone dry, about 3 weeks early and the NW wind is howling, which has contributed to dry ground and dry grass.

You hit the nail on the head about tractor costs, diesel fuel costs, fertilizer costs (made from petroleum) and transportation costs.  We're looking at $20 per three-string, 125# bales this year, maybe more.

Barbara

Central coast CA