RE: [RC] Are we done? "What I wish I knew then ..." - Ranelle Rubin

Beth,

One thing that might not be too popular on here is I am not a fan of doing LD's with young horses. I don't like the commotion it creates in their brain. Instead I will take that entry fee of $80 or so, put it in my tank and go camping with girlfriends for three or four days. It gives you time away with your horse, consecutive days of riding, caring for your horse like you will have to at a ride, etc. I think it is much better for their minds. I have started several horses for others, including the famous Bogus Thunder this way. When I took him to his first ride, it was business as usual. When a horse can relax, eat over night, etc, you have a much better chance of completing your first 50.

Last year, I spent 4 days at Pt. Reyes with my two horses (Fellow and a mare I sold to buy my second Doc baby). Not only was it a great conditioning weekend to do in May...we did about 20-25 miles a day..it was relaxing, and oh so much fun!

I think it teaches them to take better care of themselves in an environment where they will not have the competitive environment to deal with at the same time.

I have the cutest pictures of Fellow as a 6 yr old with a strand of baling twine COVERED  with clothespins/trail markers hanging all over him..! We drag rode the middle 30 miles of Swanton on one of our long weekends away.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx