RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5937 - Natalie Herman

From: "Kathy Mayeda"
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] How can I tell when horse is ready for an LD?>
  I was told by someone that you can pull a horse that is kept in pasture and
be able to finish an LD without any conditioning.  Maybe they are just  talking
  about Arabs, I dunno.

!!!!Note:!!!! The follwing is a "do not do this at home folks, professionals on
a closed course" type thing...
Here is my experience on this..IF this is your first (or horse's) LD, PLEASE do
your homework...otherwise you may get your horse into trouble...
That said, I have taken my 14hd mare (grade, part Morgan part QH, all lazy and
lives on air, LOL..so NOT the "ideal" endurance horse or "arab") and after
doing about 6mos of conditioning 5yrs ago(ok, OVERconditioning, LOL), did
several LDs with her over maybe a year's time...never did any 50's...then took
her and got her bred. She now has a 3yo filly. Since this initial conditioning
and time off for maternal leave, she only gets "trail" riding and some limited
arena work maybe 7-10 days a month (as I am so busy with work and when not
working, off at rides with the "real" endurance horse, so she is pretty much a
pasture ornament)..she DOES live (with 2 or more other horses) on either 5
acres of hillside pasture in non-grass season or 5 flat acres of dry lot in
grass season (she gets cresty and ouchy footed if on too much grass...I suspect
IR but since I manage her diet and care already, I have been too lazy to get
her tested), but is such a lazy horse, she never really "runs" around the
pasture unless I chase the horses around...even then, half the time she lets
them run and eats or stands around instead, LOL...
I take her to about 2-4 LD rides a year, usually when my main horse needs a
break and a favorite ride is in his break time...Or I feel guilty cause I never
do anything with my "favorite" horse anymore (poor thing lost favor when she
turned out not to be a "real" endurance horse...the lazy bum, LOL...she is a
GREAT "dude" or kids horse for visitng friends though:P) She goes through the
rides at the back of the pack (with usually no more than 1/2 hr or less left on
the clock) and I closely monitor her and am willing to pull at the slightest
hint of distress... But she gets through them with flying colors :) So horses
really CAN do fine on LDs (esp with an original "base" of conditioning, even if
a while back) IF you know what you are doing and can really pay attention to
stress signs and rate the horse (idiot horses that waste energy and want to
"run" all the time, despite lack of conditioning, are not ideal for
unconditioned LDing)...Most "fit" trail horses can do an LD if managed well (by
fit I do not mean a once a week, "walking" trail ride of 5 miles, LOL..but an
avid trail rider that rides 5 miles or more several times a week with all gaits
and a decent amount of trotting) by a good horseman/woman. Breed does not
matter (though Arabs are "easier" to get into and keep in shape and manage,
thus many ppl prefer them).
But most do NOT manage the horse well..they figure they'll "try an endurance
ride" and underestimate the amount of riding they really do (thus the horse's
conditioning), get out there, get caught up in the heat of competition (or
thier horse does and is no longer the "mellow" trail horse they knew), over
ride, and are pulled...
Soooo long story short, if the horse is able to do 25 miles a week (on a
weekend, or spread into several 12 miles rides a few times a week, whatever) at
5-6 mph, recovers fine to criteria, you are good to "try" an LD in the back of
the pack... Have fun, ride carefully and be ready to pull. Try to find an
"easy" ride too (25 miles, average temps, not HUGE climbs) and see how your
horse does...pull if you have to (and go back to more conditioning at home if
it was "conditionig" related...rocks causiong a pull don't count, LOL) and if
it seemed to work, go to another one, etc....
Remember too with thicker horses...COOL COOL COOL...does wonders on them...and
if they sweat a ton, make sure to give some form of elyting (I prefer small,
often doses in food rather than huge Tube dosing once at a VC) but don't over
e-lyte either...
Best advice: Find someone that is TRULY willing to mentor you/ride with you at
that ride at YOUR pony's pace...they can give you a hand with evaluating your
horse as you ride along...(but don't rely totally on them..YOU know your horse
best!)
   Natalie (off to head towards Schellbourne in a few days and taking that
poor neglected mare with to do some "trail" rides on the non-ride days...or
some "Duck Miles" if the big boy gets pulled..got to get her "in shape" for an
LD at the end of June, LOL...:P)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "