[RC] Some observations on WY vs MI - Marirose Six

The mules/horses & I have been in WY for a year now. Here are a few observations:

WY- the mules ergots are growing crazy & are very hard to peel off. MI-hardly noticed 'em.

WY- I have quit putting shoes on & don't use boots. These Hills are rocky, tough & dry. Thus, the hooves are rock hard, tough & solid.Even Chuck's horse Denny (mister bad feet in MI) is going barefoot & looking the best he ever has, great big frogs. MI- I would've loved to do this there, but it never worked out unless I didn't ride. Horses were pastuered on soft grassy fields, we had to ride on gravel roads. Their hooves would wear too short in no time when riding those roads.-----Now I can be a lazy farrier. :o)

WY-I have to drive out in the pickup to catch mules/horses, or keep one penned up to ride out & drive the herd in. I don't see them every day. MI-Led them in from pasture every morning for feed & to work with them. Handled them every day.---They are a bit wilder out here. :P

Training observations:

WY-First off, don't take the halter off, even in a 40' round pen. (It took me 3 days & shrinking the round pen down to a stall to get him caught again.) In fact, it's a good idea to let them drag a lead for a few days. MI-Everything that came to me in Mi had been handled-for better or worse.

WY-Yes' a 5 1/2 yr old can live that long without ever having his feet picked up. MI-Mares & foals are kept in much smaller pastures, often handled every day. Baby gets 1st trim with momma by her side.

WY-You don't take a day off when the wind is blowing 20+ mph. It does that every day, the horses are used to it.( I didn't, but it was whipping on our 2nd ever ride, & he was just learning to walk around wihtout spooking at my weight on his back. I thought he started to pick up speed when it was just a big gust of wind coming at us. I spooked, he was fine. Kinda funny.) MI-You don't ride a colt on a windy day until they've been under saddle at least 2-3 weeks. Wind is very scarey.

So far, that's all I've got.

Marirose

 Yeeeeeee Hawwwww