[RC] The passing of a great horseman and inventor - Sue Walz

  Thanks, Nancy. And thanks Sandy Rovane for posting this!
  I am going to deeply miss my dad. He was an amazing man. My Tevis crew chief every year I rode it. My adviser & ultimate authority on horses & endurance. He started the NJ 100 in '62 when I was just 7 yrs old. He took my brother & I to many east coast endurance rides when we were young. He was the first to adapt Polar Heart Monitors for horse use. He designed & made the Easy Ride stirrups for years before he sold the rights to Garrett Ford & EasyCare. He was AERC member #1520 with 8690 lifetime miles... lots of pre-AERC miles, too! He was 86 & continued to ride up to 2 years ago. He had just bought a new horse with hopes of riding again.
  Several times Steve Elliott & I tried nominating him to the AERC Hall of Fame. I guess we didn't politic enough. He did contribute much to the sport of endurance. He loved it & instilled that love of the sport in me!

~Sue Walz

Is this Sue's Dad. I am so very sorry.

Nancy

Bob Walz died yesterday about the same time that Big
Brown won the Preakness. He is at peace with all of
the past greats telling Ride Camp stories in heaven. I
think he was 85, strong and healthy until the stroke.
When you ride your Easy Ride stirrups always think of him.

.