[RC] Leasing Horses (Staggs Dream) - Tom Sites

Here's my story and it ain't an ism.  I did not make the WEC USA Team in 1988 and was here in the area it was held.  I befriended a group and found out they needed to lease a horse.  First i had to get approval to take the horse off the long list and transfer him to another team.  That was granted.

So i now know the team somewhat and there was this lightweight marathon runner and an aristocrat to decide who i wanted to ride the horse.  I said if my horse is to be leased he would be ridden by the lightweight marathon runner.  I was paid $1,000 for the lease and that was cheap, as by the time the passport was done thats half.

Long story short.  The marathon runner did not run and in fact rode his last 22 mile loop over 2 climbs in 45 minutes.
So its no wonder i get to the vet check and he still ain't come down to parameters.  He was pulled at 70 or so.

After the story came out that on that 22 mile loop the rider pulled the ribbons to intentionally deceive those behind him.  At the awards the Chef cried w/ embarassment with me.

Did i choose the right or the wrong rider or should i have not been even in on the discussion?

I'll never know, but i do know i'd never do that again.  ts