Re: [RC] Ho Boy! Here comes PeTA! - Susan

Jon,

What you said is very true.  Point taken.

I think the point some of us are trying to make (granted...through our pain) is that the race industry takes babies and puts them in harms way.  The only reason we can figure folks would put babies on the track is because of the all-mighty dollar.  WHY would I want to live in a 10X12 room?  The love of horses?  You bet...!  It's my love of horses that won't let me set butt-cheek to back bone till that horse is 4...maybe older.

I'm not casting stones here and certainly not judging you or your son.  I know many race horse trainers, owners and jockeys and they are wonderful, honest and great horsemen / women.  They love the horses as much as I ever could.  I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around racing a youngster so hard at such a young age.

Will I be glued to the Preakness?  You bet!  I love every minute of horse racing; I just don't love everything about it.  Same with endurance or any other equine sport you can name.  Gee...I don't even agree with every word of my church's doctrine.

In truth, would Eight Belles, Barbaro, Ruffian or the countless other race horses who have broken down (most of whom we'll never know about) have broken down were they raced a year later?  I'm thinking that indeed, many would have.  The problem isn't just their young age.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, ISSO Secretary, ISSO Points Secretary, Regional Representative
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)