[RC] Eight Belles - Kentucky Derby - Shannon Weil

The Eight Belles tragedy, in my opinion, has one underlying factor that could have been avoided. Quoted from a SI story on the net, the so called "heartbroken and mystified owner Rick Porter of Eight Belles" was far too caught up with his delight in the willingness, talent and courage of this magnificent filly to consider her own well being.  Compare the facts: this was Eight Belles' 10th race as a 3 year old; it was Big Browns 4th lifetime race at the same age.
Over trained, over raced adds up to a very dead horse 3 year old horse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/05/05/eight.belles.ap/index.html?cnn=yes At 17 hands tall, the photo in this story shows fairly upright front pasterns too. Could be the angle but makes me wonder.

Let's honor the Western States Trail Foundation for increasing the minimum age from 5 to 6 years old to enter the Tevis Cup Ride - a move perhaps other disciplines can follow.

Shannon Weil
Cool, CA