[RC] mares/ heat - Normanjudyv

My 16 yr old mare had not been turned out with a gelding for 3 yrs. She,s never been marish even some years ago when she was with geldings. Anyway, she became sooo insanely hormonal, after a few days the totally unstallion like gelding proceeded to mount her 3 or 4 times. I separated them, I was afraid he would hurt her with his shoes. Plus her usually good behavior had become unacceptable. Now I,m reluctant to turn them out together. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice? Judy