[RC] endurance riding/racing and FEI influence - Steph Teeter

-relative to discussion on the AERC members list about taking the 'race' out of the sport and making it a 'ride' :

I really hate to see people try to redefine our sport, for whatever reason. It always has been a 'race' - the rules are very clear in that - it is a timed event. There is always room for people that just want to ride w/o caring about how they place against the others - but if we completely take the 'race = timed event' out of our sport then I think it will lose a lot of appeal to many of us. I think a lot of the griping is coming from people who are simply getting older and aren't into the 'racing' like they used to be :)

(Jerry - you had some incredible 'races' with Irene - have you forgotten? - you were definitely not riding for 'just completion'! )

And I think the threat/influence that people associate with FEI is actually going to diminish. They (FEI) are starting to diverge from our sport - with the cut-off times imposed on ride entries by FEI organizers around the world (this is becoming more common) the 'ride' or 'finish' aspect is diminishing. Plus a slate of new rules on the table regarding qualifications, plus the need for multiple officials which adds a considerable cost, plus the ridiculous amount of fees and paperwork, plus the prevalence of prize money awards... - it is becoming a sport that requires much more financing and sponsorship than before. I see this as a big loss and detriment to the sport of endurance (riding/racing), and each country is going to have to come to their own terms with this. I know that I am just about done with hosting FEI rides because I'm getting so tired of the fees and the paperwork and the expense. I have never seen excessive 'racing- without-regard-for-the-horse' at any of my FEI events, to the contrary I often see better, fitter horses and better riders at these events. I typically see (as a ride organizer) more problems with novices and overzealous riders on under-conditioned horses than I do with the competitive FEI types, at least in the USA. I think AERC has a very good, very strong, culture of 'to finish is to win' riders and we always will. But we also have some great competitive riders that love a good race and enjoy the training, pacing, and selection of good horses that can be 'better than the rest'.

The issue of 'competition' on private or public lands is probably something we should address - perhaps have options for sanctioned rides that allow organizers to hold events, but don't recognize 'winners' or 'placers' , or have relayed starts, or some way to get around the race aspect...- we have tons of options at our disposal for keeping our sport alive by encouraging participants and preserving trails and access. We (AERC) can grow with a changing world - but, I don't think we need to redefine the sport as a 'ride' excluding the 'race' aspect. We just need to be practical.

Steph