Re: [RC] [RC] Looking for some opinions on horses - photos - Jennifer Stephenson - Dawn Carrie

<<The only contribution I have is this:  heart and attitude can carry the day when less than perfect conformation exists.  >>

Beth is so right.  You want to get the best comformed horse you can, but the perfect horse has not been born.  One person's "deal killer flaw" is another person's "I can deal with that" flaw.  The key is, *know* what the horse's flaws are (and every horse has them) so that you can ride/manage him appropriately.

To Beth's advice I would add, get a horse you *like.*  You'll be spending a lot of time with this horse, and if the two of you don't click, or you just don't like him for some reason (personality, gaits, attitude, etc.), it doesn't matter if he's the best-conformed horse in the world...you're not going to have fun.

Neither of my horses has perfect conformation.  Bear could use a longer hip, and his front feet are quite mismatched and need close attention.  But he has a ton of heart, loves going down the trail, and will give me everything he's got.  He's done 3 100s so far.  Sundance could use a longer neck, is stubborn and oppinionated, but tough as nails on the trail, and loves every mile.  I love riding both of them.

Dawn Carrie, TX