RE: [RC] electrolyes/colic/high HR/repeat testing - sherman

I don't know. Do you think Shadow wasn't drinking enough to warrant the
amount of electrolytes given? She drank about 3 times as much as Sonny, she
is a very good drinker and eater. She also has a pretty slick coat already,
just a few rough hairs on the sides of her belly. She is a very dark bay,
nearly black.

When we were vetting, prior to the incident, the vet had asked about our
electrolying for the day (he was asking everyone and giving suggestions) and
said he thought ours was fine. After the colic, I didn't think to ask again
what he thought of our electrolye program. I am wondering...

Last year the same weather pattern, cold most of the time until ride day,
then very warm. I had never had a reason to electrolyte Sonny then as I'd
only been conditioning him since the fall, so I electrolyted about half as
much as this year, and it was too little, he thumped at the finish, along
with about 7 or 8 others that were pulled for thumps that day.

I thought I had all the kinks worked out. Shadow had been pulled at 30 miles
last year due to rubbing on her pasterns from the gaiters. She had shoes
this year, Sonny had foamed on Easyboots, to avoid any rubbing issues.

Kathy

Karen asked:
If the blood was thick and the vet thought the horse was dehydrated,
wouldn't you question that maybe there was too much supplemented
electrolytes?