[RC] Malibu Ride - FXLivestock

In a message dated 4/24/2008 6:16:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, thomas77948@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It seems that some folks in our sport and region have been discouraging others from attempting to do the Malibu ride saying it is too hard and not worth the time.
I just want to second what Barb said in her e mail.  I would also like to add that in March, three of us rode the ENTIRE Malibu course in one day as a training ride with no support.  On this ride, I purposely took a horse who had never completed a 50 mile ride so we could get an idea on how the course would be for less experienced horses.   Laramie had completed two only LD rides, Santa Ho Ho Ho and Fire Mountain.  Our ride time was 8 hours 30 minutes not counting our stops.  Again, this was with no crews and no support like you would have on ride day.

This Malibu course is one of the most beautiful rides in So Cal.  The ride management has put a lot of time and  energy to make this a successful ride for both distances.  It is a challenging ride but is definitely doable.  When we rode the course as a conditioning ride, we worked the trail, rode steady, walked some of the big hills, etc.  Again, this was probably the hardest and the longest training ride my horse Laramie had been on and we still finished well under the maximum time allowed by AERC.

Kim Fuess