From: dakoiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] gaited horses
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:39:31 -0400

Don't forget the Paso gaits, which are a four beat lateral gait that should be even, and sound like 1-2-3-4.

My admittedly biased opinion is that they are smoother than any other gait….

The thing to watch with the Paso's is to get a "trail bred" as opposed to a "show bred".  The trail bred Paso's tend to have a longer, more efficient gait.  The show bred horses go more up and down than forward, and use a lot of energy going nowhere.  There are exceptions to every rule.

In the Paso Fino's, the walk, corto, and largo are all the same gait, they just vary in speed and collection.

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (little palomino paso fino, who is not an endurance horse anymore due to laminitis and insulin resistance)

Merlin (paso/arab cross who we recently discovered has a SMOOOOOOOTH trot, and might even gait when he's officially under saddle)