RE: [RC] [RC] rhabdomyolysis AKA tying up - Nancy

Kim and all,

Lyric gets Timothy hay and ½ a flake of alfalfa in the morning.? In the evening she gets beet pulp, one pound can of barley, one pound can of black oil sunflower seeds, 2 tablespoons of granulated garlic, hoof supplement and selenium (started 4 weeks ago) and Timothy hay.? She did a 34 mile CTR 2 weeks ago and then we left for NYC for 5 days.? While we were gone she was turned out and was worked 2 times by our trainer.? The workouts were ground work, lunging.? Dani rode her lightly on Monday after school.? Then Tuesday she went for a longer and faster ride, again after school.? They did between 6 to 8 miles at a brisk trot.? She started having trouble about 1 mile from home.

Lyric has many allergies.? The list includes Bermuda hay, rice bran, oats and corn.? She has a history of stiffness, especially after an endurance ride.? I had suspected something was wrong for a while, but “it” had not declared itself until now. Hope this helps, Nancy

From: kp ross [mailto:mamaross@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 7:18 AM
To: Nancy
Subject: Re: [RC] rhabdomyolysis AKA tying up

Nancy . . . First I think that you might need to explain to people how the "tying-up" occurred . . . The circumstances that brought it on . . . I did have a horse that was extremely susceptible to this and he wasn't able to do endurance . . . But then he could have an occurrence just taking a lovely walk in the vineyards . . . So this is why a few more details might help people understand . . . thanks, kim from lakeport