[RC] Unleashed dogs - Bruce Weary DC

I am glad to see you address this, Kathy. I was going to, but felt my comments would ruffle some feathers. Then I realized, that I, too, am getting older, so I can say whatever I want. Neener-neener.
I have to admit it is one of my pet peeves when hikers, and sometimes even riders, bring their dogs along on federal land, and let them run loose when there is a leash law. Many dog owners (and yes I am one) enjoy letting their dogs have some exercise on open land, but it often infringes on the rights and safety of others, not to mention the law. I myself have many times been chased and even attacked on horseback by loose dogs who are no more voice command trained than my goldfish. Nine times out of ten the owner is helpless in bringing the dog back under control from fifty yards away with voice commands. It often ends up being a stern "Skippy, come here!" repeated ten times until they get close enough to actually catch and leash the dog. Sometimes dog owners don't have a realistic view of their dog and it's level of obedience, and often don't or can't know what it will do in a new, open environment when it encounters children, other dogs, hikers, bikers, rattlesnakes, rabbits, cows, horses, etc.,. It's for these reasons that a leash law exists, for the safety of others and the dog itself, but I often get a nasty reaction from people when I ask that they leash their dog when I am riding. I would think people wouldn't want the liability of what can happen with a loose dog, and happily walk it on a leash. It's a fair price to be paid for the privilege of sharing our beautiful trails. Dr Q