RE: [RC] Responsible Stewardship - Ranelle Rubin

Melissa,

Since I started this whole bears on the trail thing, let me clarify my concern. I have not seen a bear on that trail for over 20 years. I know they are there, as I see their tracks, and their feces. It has never bothered me in any way, in fact it makes me smile inside knowing we can enjoy an area like this, and share it with wildlife. What does bother me is the fact that the first bear I saw did not retreat when yelled at, instead headed toward us. When I saw a second, larger bear within the same mile two days later that seemed unafraid of humans, it concerns me. I asked for information on other's experiences. I am not an advocate of depredation in principle unless a particular animal becomes too aggressive.  What I won't do is wait until some lady with a baby gets hurt because I knew about it and did/said nothing. This area of the trail is heavily used, and close to homes. I think the one person who pointed out last year's fires have changed the habitat/territory is on to something.

We just need to be on the alert for the potential of danger, not keep our heads in the sand. 20 years ago, I ran into a harmless bear on August 25th eating blackberries in the same general area. My horse spun out, I came off, and was left face to face with a confused bear. Fortunately my horse went about 20 feet away and waited for me to come up to him. I was hurt pretty bad, alone, and in a remote area. I had to hike out as I could not climb back on my horse (separated a suture in my pelvis). When I did get back to civilization, I handed the reins to a passerby I had flagged down, and promptly passed out from the pain/exhaustion/adrenalin..?

Memories of that incident still haunt me. That is one reason I don't often ride alone. I do plan on contacting the State Park Ranger just to make them aware, and discuss options with them. My hope is that these bears have just found their way into the area/been pushed by limited territories, or whatever..and are just now being encountered due to more of us out there with the nice weather. I do hope they get the message and stay away from the well traveled trails. There are thousands of acres of habitat for them in that canyon..I just don't care to have them face down my horse! If you have never seen these trails, many are on the side of a steep canyon. Getting dumped can mean death.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx