[RC] Sedgefield Fox Run - Karen Isaacs

Title: Sedgefield Fox Run

This new ride with new management was held last Saturday in the pine woods and sand of south central North Carolina.  The pleasant base camp was at a field trial lodge, complete with barn, paddocks, kennels (lots of those), water hydrants and plenty of shaded camping spots.  This was the site of the former Hoffman Moonlighter ride, last managed by Ann Davis in 1993.  I did the ride several times back then and can't believe it has been 15 years!  I have memories of hot steamy August nights filled with the sounds of summer insects and trotting down sand roads riding my Appaloosa, Rocket, while chatting with Claude and Marion Brewer (they were there this year too!).  The new ride provided all of the necessities: well marked trail with accurate (definitely not short) mileage, organized vet checks, competent & efficient timers and vets, pre-ride meal and nice t-shirts.  The springtime weather included everything from hot, humid 80+ on Friday, to wind, thunder, lightning and periods of rain on Saturday afternoon, to 30's with snow flurries as we traveled through the North Carolina high country on our way home to Tennessee on Sunday.  Overall, the weather was pleasant on ride day - warm enough that the rain showers did not chill, but windy enough to keep our still hairy horses comfortable when the sun was out.

The army was using the area to do some sort of orienteering exercise.  There were hundreds of these guys traipsing about individually, carrying huge packs and carefully studying their instruments.  They were still passing through and around camp well after dark, and into Sunday morning.  They definitely gave the horses something to look at.  The trails were sandy and mostly flat, with some short rolling hills.  There was ample water from creeks, ponds and a few mud puddles.  The dogwoods were in bloom, as well as some pink, purple and yellow wild flowers.  The 55-mile ride was won in a tie between Samantha Sandler and Debbie Ivey.  Ruth Sturley finished 4th and her horse won BC.  I think about 28 riders started.  The 30-mile ride had over 40 starters and Patsy Gowen's horse placed 2nd and won BC.  Both distances had good completion rates.

-Karen Isaacs