[RC] Scary ride and the DR - desertrydr1

Thanks to ALL who replied to my question about amnesia.  Some of your replies gave me lots to think about, and some questions to ask the Dr.

I went to the ER today, after my family Dr. told me not even to bother coming in to see her, just go straight to the ER. The ER doc did bloodwork, a urinalysis, a chest X-Ray and a CT.  I have a chronic AND acute sinus infection, which interestingly enough, I've had no symptoms of, but everything else came back normal.  So he's sending me for an EEG, thinking it may have been a seizure.

The ER Dr. was kind of interesting.  He told me his name, spelled it, then told me to remember it.  Then about an hour later, after all the tests were run, he came back in and asked me what his name was.  I said Dr. Newman with a W.  I took a book in with me, Angie's as a matter of fact.  It's a GREAT ER book, for anyone who plans to spend boring hours in that situation.  The nurses and Dr. all got a kick out of it, as I gave the short version of what it was about.

I told him I knew and expected all of the tests but the chest Xray.  He told me that there are two kinds of cancer that are most likely to metastasize to the brain (great thought) and they are lung and breast.  So if he say any calcifications, that's what he would focus on.

I did some research on the net--man is that the greatest thing in the world or what?  So I was able to identify the episode as global transient amnesia before I even went in.  Since this was the second time, i wasn't near as upset by it as I was the first time, ten yrs ago.  Of course, this time it didn't last as long, and someone was with me the whole time.

My friend didn't even really know that anything was wrong, except that I kept repeating myself, saying I really missed Fog, the mare I lost last year, then said "I don't know what happened to Fog"  We were just riding along, talking sometimes, sometimes quiet, same as usual, she asked me to hold her horse so she could pee, same as usual.  My horse jigged some, same as usual.

So this week I'll probably spend some time hooked up to electrodes, and now I'll probably wonder if I should ride alone.  Of course I wondered the same thing after I broke my pelvis out on the trail in 2004, same friend with me.  And I still rode alone, just tried to stay on some of our more regular trails.

Thanks again to all my wonderful friends on Ridecamp, jeri