[RC] Numb Feet - vjhogen

I don't have any answers for you, but do have to chime in on my own experience.  I had a wonderful opportunity to fly down to Az. and do a two day ride with a friend..  I rode her horse, used her saddle, which is the same as mine, but with a fleece cover and different stirrups.  I will admit this was in the winter so I wasn't in tip top shape.  We rode prior to the ride, adjusted things to fit me, or so I thought.  Started off bright and early the first morning, and within 15 miles my feet were completely numb.  We hit the first stop, and I leaped off adjusted the stirrups, within minutes, I knew my ankles couldn't handle the shorter stirrups.  Had to make us stop and adjusted again.  Needless to say I spent both days adjusting my stirrups.  Nothing worked, I went home with 2 sprained ankles, my little toe nails both fell off, they are permanently disfigured now, they never grew back in normally.  I had a great time and can't wait to do another multi, but it wasn't th e shoes.  I have no idea what threw me off so much, could have been my riding style, could have been different tack, I don't know, but it wasn't the shoes...  They are the same shoes I rode in before, and I still ride in them.  Have never had a problem with them.  I know you aren't supposed to try new things right before a ride, I know, I know, I really know now...  There was something that just didn't work for me, but I have no idea what it was.  My good friend was ready to shoot me for being a whiner by the end..  By the last 9 miles of the 2nd (last) day I was ready for her to shoot me and put me out of my misery... It was the longest 9 miles of my entire life, I was sure it was never going to end.... I know this doesn't help any, but I feel for you..  I wouldn't wish numb feet or sore ankles on any one...  Good luck.  ( this isn't insinuating that it isn't your shoes, just feeling your pain)
vickie