[RC] trailer/truck problem - Sbolinge

So..I got a wonderful 1996 Trailet trailer gooseneck...worked perfectly with our old dodge diesel with a flat bed. My husband just traded in the old dodge and got a 2005 one ton dodge diesel..Turns out the sides and tail gait of these newer trucks are higher than the older models.  In order for there to be enough clearance between the nose of the gooseneck and the top of the tailgate/sides of the truck bed we had to lengthen the gooseneck hitch so much that now the trailer sits on a slant...about 2 inches higher in the front. Any ideas how to fix this other than putting a flatbed on the truck?? (I read somewhere something about repositioning the axles of the trailer??)