Re: [RC] [RC] Question on odd heart rate on two TWH - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Kris

We have an arab/saddlebred mare who only gaits when she
gets excited. Occasionally, I can get her to gait on command,
but not often. On her third LD, the weather was cool and dry
(after lots of rain and mud) and she was very cheerful and
gaited a lot during the ride. Although she completed the ride
seemingly fine, once she was done and back at the trailer she
laid down in the sand and just wanted to stay there.

Since this horse doesn't roll/lie down a whole lot, I was alarmed
and ended up taking her to the vet who couldn't find anything
wrong and suggested maybe she was a little dehydrated.

In retrospect, I started to wonder if this was related to her
gaiting so much for 30 miles, when this wasn't something we'd
trained for, so presumably those particular muscles weren't used
to doing that much work?

I'm wondering if your gelding could have been put in a similar situation,
by being asked to pace for the duration of the ride - esp. since you
mention that you don't let him do any lateral gaits when conditioning?
Just a thought.

Kris wrote:

...This horse....is able to
perform a running walk,
trot, pace, canter, and what I call his "lateral canter"
under saddle. I prefer to condition him at a trot with
some normal cantering. I don't permit him to perform the
lateral gaits....At liberty, this horse trots nearly 90%
of the time, and only tends to pace when he gets nervous....

His rider noticed ...he had a HR of about 170-180 at a
trot....The rider...got the horse to start pacing,
and the HR dropped to 120-130 range... Because of this...
he pushed the horse to stay in a pace for the duration
of the ride. He was pulled at 40 miles for a 16/18 CRI.
Took a long time for the pulse to drop to criteria.
No lameness, no obvious problems, just the inverted
CRI.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA