[RC] Interesting Heart Necropsy - a.apple

This morning I watched my Vet do a necropsy on a 2 year old colt's heart that had a severe murmur. This was a colt from my breeding stock. He had a upper respiratory infection a month ago and it was discovered by his new owner. After the infection was healed she had a hard time putting weight on him and took him in for blood work. The murmur was so severe then both Vets from this clinic said it was not good and the colt would need to be put down.

They suggested she take him to the University in Oregon but I opposed the idea for him. Instead I talked to the owner about donating him to the local Lion Sanctuary and then talked to our Vets, we use the same clinic, about keeping the heart and letting them examine it to find out what the problem was.

Well it was indeed a very rare occurrence. Both Doctors even before getting the heart said that heart problems in equines is quite rare. Once they saw this heart they were shocked.

This is what they found this morning and I will try to explain it as I remember. But the reason I am posting this is for any Vets on these lists, if you would like to see the photos I took, please email me off list. It is worthy of seeing for your own education. My Vets have never seen a heart that was the size of this one.

It was three times the size of a normal heart. Again, this colt just turned two this month. Upon examination the Vet found and I think I am saying this right; A ventral septic disorder of the right chamber. The hole in the heart was so huge Dr. Bradley could stick two fingers through it easily. The right chamber for us lay people is what pumps blood to the lungs to oxygenate the blood to send to the rest of the body. His heart muscle had to work so hard that is why the heart was so large.

It is not a genetic defect, it is just a fluke of nature. Very sad for all concerned.

If you would like to see this please email me off list. As I said, this is a very rare event in horses.