[RC] Thoroughpin - Valerie Jaques

Thoroughpin is considered a blemish.  I've never seen a horse lame from one.  I've seen thoroughpin on the hind leg and even seen one on a front leg just above the fetlock. I cannot for the life of me remember what causes it, and since my farrier books are all packed up in preparation for a move, I can't look it up.  All I can remember is that the structures involved are somehow not particularly inclined to cause lameness when injured, and the thoroughpin isn't considered significant in any way.  I can't imagine that it would interfere with vet ins.  My horse looks like someone took a baseball bat to him (popped knee, windpuffs on every leg, scars on the suspensory, etc.) and he's never had problems with vetting in.  The vets can tell if a horse is sound or not, and don't consider "war wounds" to preclude an animal from competing.