RE: [RC] Thoroughpins - Lori Bertolucci

And I just rode the same ride on a horse that has a rather large Thoroughpin, or splint, that he received this past fall, with nary a problem. And he did all 3 days of that rather hard ride.
When it happened, I contacted Marci, asked what to do, and she gave me the same advice she is giving you. Ride him....and I did.  :)

Lori

"Cunningham, Marci" <mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In March of 1999 my endurance gelding developed a thoroughpin and I had my vet look at it.  He ultra sounded it and said to keep riding him as it wasn?t bothering him.  Well, I think he was right as I completed a tough 55 on him last Sunday at Cuyama Oaks and Koztarr+/ now has close to 5,100 miles.  He is 17 this year and has been doing endurance since he was 5.  I have never had a vet comment on it as it is only considered a blemish.  My advice to you is to keep riding your horse and don?t be too concerned about it.  I had forgotten about it until I read the recent post on ridecamp.  I wrote to ridecamp on March 10, 1999 asking if anyone had any experience endurance riding a horse with a thoroughpin but never received any responses.

Happy Trails,
Marci Cunningham
Bakersfield CA