Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5816 Running martingales - Beth Walker

Something that I may try, if my experiment with the G.M. shows that he could hit the end of the martingale on a stumble.

And yeah -- on one of my very few experiments with a running martingale, I'm pretty sure the horse I was riding was savvy to this trick. ?I know I sure didn't feel like I had a lot of control.

I also know that my horse, Caisson, was ridden in a running martingale for at least some part of his life. ?On my first couple of arena rides with him, he acted as if he didn't know some basic stuff -- like rein cues to turn. ?

I remember trotting down the long side of the dressage ring, and the end was coming up. ?I asked for a turn -- and got nothing. ?Asked again -- nothing. ?Gave a very exaggerated lateral rein aid right before we ran out of arena, and he made a very quick turn "oh...TURN !". ? He caught on fast, but it really was a learning time - like he was re-discovering things he had known, but hadn't used for a while (all that arena stuff that he probably hadn't used since he was first put under saddle).

Now - whether that was just because he had spent most of his time going down the trail, or whether it was because my cues were different than cues coming through a running martingale, I don't know for sure, but I put it down to the martingale due to my previous (and limited) experience with it.