[RC] Sand question. - l g miller

I am heading to do my first 30 mile ride of the season. It will be at the Mary Lutz Memorial in NJ. I am told the trails are flat, and sandy. Mostly hard packed from what I understand. I would like to know what most people do in the loose, deep stuff. Walk/trot or walk/canter???
It will be my 5 yr. old gelding's second ride ever, and I want to be prepared. I live in NE Pa, where my trails are mostly rocky and hilly. I have been doing CTR's in this neck of the woods for 5 yrs. now, just haven't done the sand thing yet........

Cheryl