[RC] Horse training question... - Burnett, Elly

Title: Horse training question...

This is really only marginally relevant, as in it's regarding my coming 5-year-old that I hope to use for distance riding in the future.  Anyone with any youngster experience out there?

Here's what's going on.  He's been back from the trainer's since early February, and we've been working in the arena since then.  Things have been going really well, except he wants to get really heavy on the forehand as soon as I pick up any contact on the bit.  He's not terribly rude about it, although he's getting a bit ruder as time progresses.  I know the trainer worked him primarily in a bosal-type bridle, but I know she did do some with a snaffle (which is what we're using now).  I tried riding him in just his halter, which helped a little, but he still wanted to carry his head too low for my comfort.  When I give up all contact on the bit, he would be happy near "peanut rolling" with his nose.  As he's young and has a tendency to spook, I like to be ready to one-rein stop him, and this just isn't working.  Anyways, a friend suggested I "pop" him with a rein as soon as he gets heavy, but I'm spending way too much time jerking on the reins, and the whole ordeal makes me uncomfortable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Elly