[RC] Cuyama and Annie Nicholson - Bruce Weary

Just got back from a beautiful day's ride at Cuyama, the first time Dayna and I had ever been there. It is gorgeous! The rolling hills carpeted with lawn-height yellow and purple wildflowers, the majestic mountainous backdrops, the riverbeds and hidden streams all add to the almost surreal, "Hobbit-like" feeling one gets on this trail. There was plenty of water, both tanks and natural, and the weather was perfect. A chilly morning warmed to a very pleasant midday, once again cooling as the final riders ended their day. This is a highly popular, must-do ride, especially for those who like to ride at a more leisurely pace. Unfortunately, we arrived on Friday, and had to leave on Saturday after the ride. We delivered Sugar to her new owner, as I have moved on to a couple of nice Arab geldings in hopes of catching my wife on the trail.
For those of you who don't know, Annie Nicholson lost her father after an extended illness, leaving both her and Dave bereft with grief. Even so, with her father only gone two days, she chartered a private plane to attend his final services, so that she might return in a few hours to once again fulfill her saintly duties in seeing to the needs and whims of a hundred-some endurance riders for the next three days. I gave her a hug and my condolences, taking only a moment of her time and energy, and she returned that same kind but dazzling smile she is known for. Dave had a hard time talking about how difficult the last few weeks were for them, other than to express his own admiration and respect for the strength Annie showed in spite of what she had been through. She is truly amazing.
Which brings me to my point. It is my intent to write a letter of recommendation to the AERC nominating Annie Nicholson for membership in the AERC Hall of Fame. Not simply because of the strength and poise she demonstrated this weekend, but because I have been meaning to do so for several years, and that thought has been on the minds of many of my endurance riding peers, as well.
I have been doing endurance for over 20 years, and have known the Nicholsons for much of that time.
Annie has always remembered my name (among hundreds) greeted me with a smile, and cheerfully fetched me anything I have been brazen enough to ask for at a ride--a sandwich, a cold drink, a larger T-shirt, a completion award with my horse's name spelled correctly, a ride back to basecamp, whatever. All while she attended to hundreds of other tasks, both important and inane, that were asked of her by her other riders. Not to mention she puts up with the Duck every day of her life. :>
I invite those of you reading this to join me in contacting AERC, either through email or snail mail, and write the most influential and complimentary letter you can muster, filled with anecdotes, add photos-- whatever you like--and give your personal recommendation that Anne be admitted to the Hall of Fame. There is no one like her, nor will there likely ever be again.
Thank you for your attention. Bruce Weary, aka Dr Q

PS I make this recommendation as a dues paying member of AERC, and not as a member of the Board.