RE: [SPAM] [RC] Separation at the Coronet Band - heidi

This weekend I went to the Sand Hills Stampede in South Carolina and
ended up pulling my horse after the second loop of the 55. I had
noticed a little blood on his coronet band but being a very tender
skinned horse he usually has a speck of blood somewhere from a nick
or what not and since he is white it shows up very well. When I was
washing it off I realized it was coming from his coronet band. It
appeared that the deep sand had irritated it and it looked like it
was starting to separate. He had felt great on the trail and had
vetted with As and sound. As I was washing it I pushed on it and he
reacted pretty strongly so I took him back to the vets and we all
agreed that another 13 miles was not going to make it any better so
he was done for the day. .
I thought back to the other 3 sandy rides I have done in the past
year and realized that after each one Blue has ended up with a
horizontal crack on the front of his hoof so I guess this is how that
starts. I have not ever had this problem on mountain rides but that's
where we are from.
Has anyone had this experience before? Anything I can do to help him out?

First of all, good call to pull.  It never helps to continue aggravating
something like that.

Yes, I've seen and experienced that sort of problem.  If it is just on one
foot, it is most likely due to a localized trauma or bruising.  That would be
my guess, given that he was sensitive to having the area palpated and that he
had noticeable blood at the spot.  Give him a few weeks off, until you get some
good growth starting down from that area, and then he should be fine.  Keeping
it reasonably clean initially will help as well.  Sometimes a blemish will
appear in the growth pattern for awhile, but most of these grow out normally in
the end.  Odds are you encountered something hidden in the sand, or that he hit
himself due to the insecurity of the sandy footing.

You may also get cracking along the coronet band from concussion, but when that
is the case, it usually doesn't show up until post-ride, and then is either
bilateral on the fronts, or quadrilateral (all four feet).  Such horses are
usually a bit tender and hesitant to move out, but not necessarily "lame" since
they are affected symmetrically.

Heidi