[RC] Hydra sponsored Endurance development program - Steph Teeter

The money is coming from a UAE based company 'Hydra Properties'. They don't have any direct interest in the sport - they simply want exposure and publicity, and in the UAE if you sponsor Endurance, you are associating with the Sheikhs (exposure and publicity). I had a conversation with a Hydra marketing person who had just been hired and didn't know much about the sport of Endurance. I encouraged him to consider sponsoring more than just 'winning riders', especially in the young rider and ladies events, where there is even less of a 'human-horse' relationship (they mostly ride horses given to them by the big stables who simply want their horses to win) and the spirit of the event is much more about glory and winning than about horsemanship.

I suggested sponsoring horsemanship or team awards instead of pouring all their sponsor money into a winners purse. I have no idea if my words made any difference, but I'd like to think so! The fact they they are sponsoring new program growth (clinics and officials courses for countries that want to get started) seems to be a reasonably acceptable way to spend the money that they want to spend. They still get their name recognition and association with the sport. (a la Omega, Rolex, AllTech, etc)

Steph